christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

The Butterfly Clues - Kate Ellison You guys.I'm in love.I know, I know. The book's not perfect, you say. The ending was contrived. The descriptions didn't seem realistic, just like some of the plot twists. Lo may not have OCD but instead has repetitions as a coping mechanism but it's not as accurate as it could/should be.I hear what you're saying, but...I'm smitten. I'm a smitten kitten.Now, I read this during an interesting time in my life, when I was rediscovering how amazing my family is, how lucky I am to have my husband, and at the time I was basking in what I thought was a beautiful friendship (that later turned out to be a ruse, but that's another story), so it's possible I was riding on those highs as I read this and it influenced my reaction. And yes, it has its drawbacks, and even in my giddy stupor I felt some things were farfetched, but it all worked so well.The writing is glorious. I was never bored, not once, and Ellison can depict a scene eloquently without over-explaining. I felt for Lo, and I really like how Ellison portrayed her parents. Sure, her mother was lost in a fog after the death of her son. Her father, on the other hand, was trying to hold it together, but he lost his patience with Lo's need to count and have things in order. That was real. I appreciated that, especially as someone who would sometimes encounter exasperation from family when confronted with symptoms of my mental illness. (It is what it is.)I'll say I didn't see a major plot twist coming. The true identity of Bird. I bought the red herring hook, line, and sinker, and for that, I applaud Ellison.And oh, Flynt. Flynt, I adore you. I love you. And yes, you have some skeletons in your closet...that much is obvious. But I adore you nonetheless.I'll stop my rambling and will leave you with this. I hate sequels for the sake of sequels, and I can't see how Ellison could continue with Lo and Flynt, but I truly hated saying goodbye to these characters, especially Flynt. I would be ecstatic to see them appear again in another work by Ellison.Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go reread this.