christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

Startled by His Furry Shorts - Louise Rennison 3.5 stars! "I can't believe I am once more on the rack of romance. And also in the oven of luuurve. And possibly on my way to the bakery of pain. And maybe even going to stop along the way to get a little cake at the cakeshope of agony."God, I love Georgia Nicolson. Yes, she's immature, silly, often rude, self-obsessed and rather strange, but she's also hilarious and is ultimately a good person. Also it's odd little summaries like these that make her books so damn quotable. Our mad little heroine is still going through boy trouble in the seventh book of the series, and since I have zero desire in giving anything away, I'll just say that it's an interesting development. I know who I want her to end up with DAVE THE LAUGH, DAMMIT!, but we'll see...As for other items, Georgia might be getting herself some minions. She encounters two young students who are receiving detention for drawing a picture of a vole wearing a bra on the blackboard.(PS this is a vole):If someone could Photoshop a bra onto that picture, that would be great.Anyway, Georgia responds with "Well done, girls, keep up the good work, we are relying on you."I have not been as enamoured with a young heroine since Ruby Oliver. Just when things get serious, Georgia comes up with a winner like "He took my face in both his hands (I don't mean he ripped it off my neck) and he leaned down and kissed me)". That right there is something you will never see in New Adult, as it seems to be a genre that takes itself far too seriously. Another thing that is sadly lacking in most genres are stories about girls/women with self-respect. Call Georgia selfish all you want (and it's true, she is), but at least she doesn't let herself get strung along by a guy who just wants to be friends with benefits. Now, there's nothing wrong with that per se (at least not to me), but as she truly wants to be this guy's girlfriend, it's not good enough for her. She wants the real deal and nothing less. Good for her. We need more girls like Georgia. I'll take the snark if it means having a main character who doesn't let herself become a doormat for a hot guy.Bonus! Some of Georgia's witticisms:- On July 4th, she reflects on America's independence and concludes that the whole thing has got the USA "into the restroom of life".- "Is there a book called How to Be Really Crap? Because if there is, [her father] has got it."- "I have turned into a combination of Superman and Jesus. Not that Jesus would wear tights."