christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

The False Friend - Myla Goldberg Oh, this started so well.A woman is suddenly and literally struck by the memory of what actually happened to her childhood friend and races home to spread the truth. No one believes her, and she starts to wonder if she can believe herself.Fantastic, right? The beginning and the epilogue are quite good, but what's in the middle...it's what brings the book down.Something that will always annoy me as a reader is when an author describes unimportant things in tremendous detail. Celia returns to her girlhood home and is fascinated with the wallpaper, but she goes on to describe it over and over again. I really don't know what the purpose of that was. If it was an homage to The Yellow Wallpaper, it didn't work.Then there's this:A kiss in an airport is like an orange in the desert.What? I really don't understand that. Sure, it's hard thinking of new similes and metaphors, but this really just doesn't make sense. I've had lots of kisses in airports, but none of them made me think of the juiciness of a tropical fruit in a barren land. I don't get it, and it distracted me to the point that I had to put the book down and walk around to clear my head. Not good.I cared about the characters, but I wasn't invested in them. It was satisfying to see Celia face her past, and the ending was ambiguous enough to stay with me a bit after finishing the book, but it didn't affect me the way I thought it should.