christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

Sleepwalk with Me: and Other Painfully True Stories - Mike Birbiglia If you're not familiar with Mike Birbiglia's comedy, here's a clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYl9BSiV-P4Another clip of him talking about his sleepwalking incidents:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2KRBh1MOAI'm one of those people who follow stand-up comics and knew of Louis CK and Sarah Silverman before they got tv shows. Therefore I knew of Mike Birbiglia before his success with one man shows and his award winning movie Sleepwalk with Me (it won an award at Sundance). I like his style of comedy; it's laid back, sort of like Jim Gaffigan's and sort of surreal, a bit like Mitch Hedberg's was. Mike's book is written in the same style, as if he's writing a letter to a friend or having a pleasant conversation with a stranger. He doesn't put on airs, and that can be refreshing. It's not a light read, though; Mike talks about his family, his past relationships, and of course his struggles in becoming a comedian. One of my favorite chapters was the one in which Mike talked about Mitch Hedberg:"I had this idea that if we went out on tour, we could play tennis, maybe see local sites, and somehow my non-drug-using habits would catch on. Even thinking about that now, it's delusional. It never would have happened. Mitch didn't want to stop. And no one was going to stop him, certainly not me."Unsurprisingly, he uses humor to explain a lot of events, but he does it in a way that's so relatable that you almost forget something big is happening. He does this with major medical incidents in his family and even when he describes his brush with a tumor in his bladder:"I was literally the highest I've ever been in my life and then I was told I might die. Which is like being handed a pizza and then being shot in the face."I would say don't read this looking for a hilarious, side-splitting tome, but don't look for self-pitying, tearjerking stories. If you liked the above clips, you'd like this book.