christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation is an informative and amusing book about the author's pilgrimage to sites related to the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley. I myself am not a history expert, but this book described the relationships between the presidents and their wives and friends, as well as facts about the assassins themselves. Through her sharp sense of humor, Vowell explains the odd circumstances after Lincoln's death involving his son Robert Todd Lincoln (she refers to him as Jinxy McDeath since he was present at [or nearby] the assassinations of his father as well as Presidents Garfield and McKinley) and John Wilkes Booth's brother Edwin. She also traces the history between President Garfield's bitter rivalry with Stalwart leader Roscoe Conkling, as well as Chester Arthur's horror at the idea that Guiteau's assassination was intended as an homage to the vice president. One fascinating aspect of her trek was on Mount Marcy in New York, where Theodore Roosevelt was camped on the day McKinley was shot. She describes how she struggled climbing up the mountain and compared herself to Roosevelt's robust exclamations of "Beautiful country!" as he climbed. Vowell's description of Roosevelt's joy of hiking turning to grim despondency after learning that McKinley's wounds were fatal resonate with the reader, as do all the stories and facts she presents in this book.