christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

If I Stay - Gayle Forman I read this book in one freaking day. I set aside must-do chores and ignored my pets and to a degree, my new husband, to finish this book. And it was all worth it.Gayle Forman uses her prose like an elegant weapon, describing necessary items in detail and emitting unimportant details so that you can visualise the settings without losing the story. Plus her characters are so fleshed out that you mourn the fact that they don't actually exist. I am not a fan of mawkish stories, so when I saw that this book came so highly recommended, I was hesistant. Although the plot is certainly a heavy one - Mia is hovering between life and death after her family is in a devastating car crash - it does not get all Lifetime-movie on you. Instead, it concentrates on what made Mia's life work before the accident. You get to know her musical parents, and her hilarious little brother Teddy. You learn about her passion and incredible talent at playing the cello. You root for her to get into Julliard, and get just as heartbroken as she is when she realizes that this will probably tear her apart from her love, Adam.Mia and Adam are so much more than the typical YA boyfriend/girlfriend. You FEEL their love, and you know just as well as every character in the book that it is the "grown up love", the real thing. The scenes with Mia and Adam, and when Adam visits Mia in the hospital, are so emotionally charged that they should come with a warning ("This passage will change the way you look at the YA genre forever"). I may not be making sense. That's okay. I know I can't quite convey what a gem this book is without delving into stuttering praise, so I'll just leave you with this - if you see this book in your library or bookstore, snatch it up. Clear your schedule, put on whatever music you love, and lose yourself in this book. Then, if you're like me, you'll immediately look for anything else that Gayle Forman has written, because now you're hooked.