christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

To boycott or not to boycott?

It's a tricky thing, at least for me.

For example, I detest how John Lennon abused his first wife, but I absolutely love his music and poetry. I also abhor Roman Polanski's rape of a young girl, but I want to see his films.

I'm not against boycotting, as I think it's important. However, (and keep in mind this is my opinion) with large corporations it's almost a moot point since so many companies are owned by capitalist juggernauts. If, for example, you were to boycott Burger King, would you also boycott all General Foods products? Or you could boycott Phillip Morris (now known as the innocuous-sounding "Altria"...but there are just so many of those companies. And to be honest, they're already so damn rich, that even if hundreds of thousands of people boycotted them, they wouldn't be hurting.

Of course, that's my cynical side talking, but back to my original thought: When do you boycott?

It's a difficult question for me; on one hand, I have no interest on wasting time and money on reading a book by a man who hates gay marriage. On the other hand, "Ender's Game" is a sci-fi milestone, and I'm curious. So do I read it but don't spend money on it, i.e. get it at the library?

I don't have a boycotting system. I have nothing against those who do or don't. I'm not anybody's mommy and if people can do what they want. Whatever makes them comfortable is clearly the best choice for them. But I am curious - does anyone have a system of sorts? As in, not spending money but finding other ways to enjoy/experience a creative effort?

Thank you for your time, and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions.

(I love that I don't have to say "let's keep it civil" because I already feel like BookLikes is such a welcoming presence...it's nice, isn't it? Refreshing!)