christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

Break

Break - Hannah Moskowitz This book, simply put, is a bitchslap. (That's a compliment)I'll preface this review by saying that when I started reading as a young adult, the books that stood out were the ones that were well written. Period. It didn't matter if they were romance, horror, YA, kid lit, etc. If the characters got in my head and made me care for them, the book had me in its clutches. I'm not fond of the philosophy that young people need to have watered-down prose and plots. Children and teenagers are smart and savvy, so talking down to them only makes you a square. Break does not talk down. It does not pull punches. That being said, there will be people who don't approve of the language, plot, etc. That's fine - to each their own. Still, if you know of anyone - anyone, of any age - who's looking for something to read, steer them in the direction of this book. Jonah (the main character) is so real, I truly felt like he was talking to me. I felt for him and his situation. I felt his overwhelming need to take care of his sickly brother Jesse, his lust and affection for his not-quite-girlfriend Charlotte, and even his misguided need to break every bone in his body so that he could make himself stronger. His plan doesn't go well, of course, but the outcome is surprising and strangely rewarding. Break is the kind of book that stays with you long after you've put it down, and is also the kind of book that you'll be comparing others to (albeit unfairly). It'll put you firmly in the corner of Team Moskowitz. In short, it's well worth the read.