christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)

Enshadowed - Kelly Creagh I'm a huge Batman fan. I'm not fanatical, but I love Batman and have been smitten since seeing the Tim Burton film when I was a kid. One of my favorite movies is The Dark Knight. I'm kind of in love with it. The amazing acting, the cinematography, the costumes, the plot, the makeup and effects, it's all incredible. I adore it. Therefore I was a little scared to see The Dark Knight Rises. Sure, it had Anne Hathaway in it, but could it live up to TDK? And was it unfair of me to compare the two?As it turns out, TDKR is a great film, and yes, it's unfair to compare it to TDK because there's such a different feeling to the two. Still, the comparisons will come, and that's just how it is.So is Enshadowed a worthy companion to Nevermore?Oh, man. I honestly don't know.The thing is, it starts off realistically, letting us into Isobel's despair. She's built up a fascade that only Gwen (her best friend) and Danny (her little brother) can see through. Her parents are concerned. Her world has basically crumbled around her. Still, she knows she has to find Varen, who's still stuck in a bizarre world she can't even begin to understand. Enshadowed goes through Isobel's process of trying to track Varen down, with the occasional cameo by a Pinfeathers. It's creepy, fast paced, and interesting.So why not 4 stars? (I reserve 5 stars for classic, life-changing books, like 1984 and Lolita)In short, it's because Enshadowed didn't have enough Varen. He made Nevermore such a delight, with his sexy demeanor and cryptic references. Plus I loved how he respected Isobel even when she drove him nuts. He's a hell of a character, and he's barely in this book. I understand why, but still...I missed him.But what makes this book work? A lot of things.Isobel is a strong female character who doesn't just brush aside other people to get what she wants. She knows she'll have to make sacrifices and it hurts her, but she's driven in a way that I can respect. Gwen is hilarious and captivating. Danny is sweet and funny. Her parents are believable - thank you, Kelly Creagh, for that. I detest reading about parents who don't seem realistic. I felt for all the characters, even Pinfeathers, but then I wasn't too surprised to find out that he was a part of Varen. Still, excellent touch, Ms. Creagh. Spooky and effective.So is it worth reading? Yes. Will I push it on people like I do with Nevermore? Maybe not.But there had BETTER be another book. That ending was just...(flails)I cannot wait for the next book, because so much is left unexplained. My imagination is reeling, and that's what you want from a series.In short, yes, I recommend this book, but definitely read Nevermore first. And don't compare Bane to The Joker. It's just not fair.