christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

The Obscene Bird of Night (Verba Mundi) - Jose Donoso I just couldn't, guys.I picked this up because A) the author is Chilean, like me, and B) I ADORE experimental literature. Still, this one...it just got too weird for me at times, and that was distracting.What I did enjoy was the symbolism, the array of characters, the overall comments on sexuality and feminine/masculine roles in society. However, one part stuck out to me, and not in a good way. At one point, a young woman is forced to hide her pregnancy, and hides out with nuns. One of the nuns, wanting to cheer her up, acts as her "baby". This amuses the other nuns, who play along, and it sort of becomes a game. Okay, sure, but then the baby play becomes...sexual. And this was my reaction:It overtook everything else in the story. The protagonist would begin an inner monologue, and all I could think was "old wrinkly nun and pregnant young girl, old wrinkly nun and pregnant young girl, puke, puke." It was like my brain was hijacked with images of Mother Teresa getting an erotic massage by a pregnant Scarlett Johansen. Ew.Still, the writer showed his talent, so I might try to read another one of his books.