christinawilder

I'll think of a damn title later

29we2#33WR@#)@$()!@*($#(%)_&*

Shirley Jackson, Francine Prose
No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs
Naomi Klein
Progress: 158/528 pages
"I want to perform an unnatural act."

- Lenny Bruce

- Bill Hicks

-George Carlin

"The more I see, the less I know for sure."

- John Lennon

The "Anti-Christ" philosopher

Nietzsche and Postmodernism - Dave Robinson, Richard Appignanesi

I discovered philosophy in college (which was the only subject I excelled at when I was going through a bad mental period), and quickly fell for Nietzsche. It is my personal belief that he is often misconstrued, although I'll be the first to admit I am not exactly a scholar on the man and was disheartened to see that he wrote unfavorably about women. A quote: "Suppose that Truth is a Woman - what then?"

(I could go off on a tangent about how I don't agree with ANY other person all the time, and those whose work I admire inevitably have something about them [professionally or personally] that I don't like, but don't get me started.)

Back to this book. Robinson clearly knows his stuff, and delves into Nietzsche with enthusiasm and attention to detail. He explains the basics of Nietzsche's philosophy, using examples and references to help the reader understand each concept. This is a book that concentrates on the philosophy of the man, and not his biography. Robinson does take care to note that the usage of Nietzschean philosophy as a means for Nazi propaganda is due to Nietzsche's sister Elizabeth distorting her brother's work to serve her own Anti-Semitic means.

(Small note: Robinson uses a hyphen in "no one". As in "no-one". Nope.)

Ultimately this book is a great look at Nietzschean philosophy and ideals. Highly recommended for anyone interested in philosophy.